– Free legal advice can cost you a lot!

free legal advice

When you have problems in your life you likely talk it out with your friends and family.  However, for legal advice you should only be seeking the advice of a licensed attorney in Ohio.  Attorneys often offer free legal advice about divorce and other legal issues through free consultations, pamphlets, and websites.

Divorce law is an area of the law governed by state specific laws.  Every state has different ways of separating marital property, determining custody, spousal and child support, and even what constitutes a legal marriage.  Some states allow same-sex marriage, others do not.  Some states recognize common-law marriage, but Ohio does not.

Your mother may offer her free legal advice by telling you what Cousin Lou got in his divorce, but what she does not know is the important details that matter in different states.  For example, Cousin Lou may have been divorced in California, a community property state, and it may be impossible in Ohio to have the same outcome, or you  may be entitled to a better outcome.

Most attorneys, including myself, provide free consultations, so take advantage of the free legal advice.  Also, check out the Ohio Bar Association’s “Law Facts Pamphlets” for general information on your divorce  as well as many other topics. https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resources/LawFactsPamphlets/Pages/LawFactsPamphlets.aspx.  Educate yourself, but do so carefully and responsibly.

Finally, if you are represented by an attorney, what you must do is very simple – LISTEN TO YOUR ATTORNEY!  If you have a legal question – ask your attorney – NOT your friends who were just divorced.  If you are represented by an attorney, you are paying them for their legal expertise and advice, so use it.  If you have a legal question, you will not be bothering them by asking.  Any attorney would much rather their client ask them a question, then rely on the advice of others.  Remember, unqualified legal advice is BAD legal advice and can be dangerous!

If you are in search of qualified legal expertise on divorce or dissolution, or any other family law matter, contact me, Jamie L. Anderson, Attorney at Law, today to schedule a free in-office or telephone consultation at (937)879-9542.  As stated before, a consultation is a form of free legal advice, so get yours today![ ATTRIBUTE: Please check: http://www.flickr.com/photos/13522901@N00/64027565 to find out how to attribute this image ]

1 Comment

  1. Melissa Wilt on January 22, 2018 at 5:00 pm

    I need advice. Over a year ago, my husband packed up everything out of our house and did who knows what with it. Via email, he eventually said it was in storage but won’t tell me where. He also took a my car that had both our names on it that has now be repossessed. I can’t locate him to officially file for divorce. How can i proceed? I have very little money and am not seeking any money from him, I just want my belongings back. Where do I start?

Leave a Comment