Montgomery County | Greene County | Clark County | Miami County | Warren County

Divorce or Dissolution? (by Ohio Divorce Attorney)

English: Wedding rings Português: Anéis de Noi...

Divorce or Dissolution?

You may be able to save time and money by following Ohio’s simplified procedure for termination of your marriage. Ohio law provides that you may file a joint petition called a Petition for Dissolution. A dissolution represents an agreement between you and your spouse agree to all issues including the division of marital property, spousal support, parental rights and responsibilities, and child support. Your petition must be accompanied by a separation agreement and, if applicable, a shared parenting plan. Instead of many time-consuming hearings, you are required to appear at only one short hearing which usually lasts less than ten minutes. The purpose of the hearing is to determine if both parties actually agree to the terms of the agreement and that neither party has been coerced.

If you are unable to communicate, let alone agree, you must pursue relief in Ohio by filing a Petition for Divorce. A “divorce” is the legal separation and termination of the marital relationship by the judgment of a court which may be granted only upon a finding by the court that certain “grounds” for divorce exist. A divorce puts an end to the marital relationship. Jamie L. Anderson can help you in filing a Petition for Divorce or Dissolution. “I represent Miami Valley families throughout the Dayton metropolitan area, including the counties of Montgomery, Greene, Clark, Fayette, and Warren. Contact me today at 937-879-9542.”